Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Just some thoughts..

For so many years I've hated who I was. Who I am. Which is terrible. God didn't make a mistake. And for way too long I felt like He did. I always felt like the ultimate odd one out. Not quite pretty enough. Not quite smart enough. I never gave myself enough credit. Some days I still don't. And it's not easy fighting those feelings.

Self esteem is such a huge issue with so many girls. Peer pressure and the media are brutal. And sadly, too little is being done to help. Girls are led to believe that the ideal is to be skinny. But that is so far from reality it's ridiculous. You're absolutely perfect just as you are. When you say something hurtful it chips away at that person's confidence. Eventually nothing is left. This doesn't apply to only girls. Boys are always taught to be tough. It's not cool to cry. So it's no wonder that no one notices when they do.

As a person's confidence diminishes depression often sets in. I'm speaking from experience. There were days that I couldn't stand to get out of bed because of the depression I was in. I was fortunate though because suicide never crossed my mind. No matter how bad it got. I know others aren't quite so lucky.

When you feel that pressing sadness deep inside it takes over everything else. You feel like you don't belong, like maybe everyone would be better off without you.

But it's not true.

And it's so sad that our society today puts so much unfair pressure on the youth. Aren't they supposed to be our future?

All of this came up just after I watched a music video. I strongly recommend that you watch it. The song title may throw you off but the video is a perfect example of what too many girls (and boys) deal with today.
- F*cking Perfect by Pink

Of course there are people who might not agree about so many of the things I have said. But before you decide to go ahead and let me know what you disagree with please remember that these are just my thoughts. And really, it doesn't matter who's right or wrong.

Thanks to everyone who has ever picked me up when I've been down. You might know you did it, but I'll never forget it. I love you guys.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Amie my dear. You are gorgeous. I know I am just your sister but it is the truth. None of us ever give ourselves enough credit.
    Remember... bodyrockers.tv Just do not get discouraged by her crazy body like I did at first. Made me want to cry. :P:P But anywho. Cant wait to go dress shopping next month.
    Check out stefmarks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete